Australia is an incredibly popular destination for skilled migrants who wish to move overseas for greener pastures. The Australia Skilled Worker Visa (Skillselect) is for individuals or families looking to migrate to Australia permanently to take up careers and opportunities with shortage of workers.
The Australia Skilled Worker Visa is designed to attract workers who wish to make a significant contribution to the Australian economy, and fill positions where no Australian workers are available. Skilled migrants have very high participation rates in the workforce, helping to stimulate economic growth, which results in more jobs.
Australia Skilled Worker Visa | DETAILS
The General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) program replaced all other Australian skilled worker visas in 2012-2013. Applicants will be required to meet at least 65 points from the General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) points tables to be considered.
The Skillselect program is for persons who wish to apply for a skilled migration visa so as to live and work in Australia. Under the Skillselect program skilled worker applicants can gain a permanent Australia visa; using their qualifications, work experience and language ability to meet the Australian immigration requirements. The system is similar to an online job board and matches employers with potential employees.
See Also: USA Skilled Worker Visa 2023 (EB3 Visa) | Requirements, Costs and Benefits
Australia Skilled Worker Visa | Requirements
To qualify for the Australia Skilled Worker Visa, applicants will be required to meet certain requirements such as:
- Nominated occupation: Nominated occupation – when you apply you nominate a skilled occupation, which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be found on one of the Skilled Occupation Lists.
- Skills assessment: before you apply, you must have your skills assessed by the Australian assessing authority designated to assess your nominated occupation. You must have received a positive result.
- Health assessment: you must undergo a medical assessment, and show that you are in reasonably good health. This must be conducted by a doctor registered with the Australian Embassy.
- Character assessment: Must be of good character, usually this means a criminal record check.
- Previous visa: Applicant must not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused whilst in Australia.
- Expression of Interest (EOI): An EOI must have been lodged.
- Points: Must have received the required points for the relevant visa.
Please note that points are awarded in the following categories:
- English language ability
- Previous Australian and Overseas skilled work experience
- International qualifications
- Australian study requirements and awards
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian Study
- Spouse Skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
Benefits of the Australia Skilled Worker Visa
- Job Opportunities: The Australia Skilled Worker Visa once granted provides avenue for the immigrant to be offered jobs in his/her area of expertise. Within four months of moving to the country, more than 80 out of 100 migrants with qualified independent visas get work.
- Freedom to Work: The skilled worker visa also makes room for immigrants to apply for and get work permits that grants them freedom to work in Australia.
- Flexible guidelines on immigration: There is no limitation on the number of visas that can be made available through the temporary entry system to professionals and other skilled immigrants. In contrast to other countries, the Kangaroo Land also boasts relatively more versatile and efficient temporary entry arrangements.
Equally, Check: Canadian Work Visas, Work Permit and How to Apply
- Check first that you meet a minimum point score of 65, that your occupation is indeed included under the list of skilled occupations and that you are eligible to apply.
- An Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted, before being invited to apply for the visa. There are basic requirements to meet before submitting your EOI. You will only receive an invitation to apply if your EOI has been selected.
- Receive an invitation to apply. Applicants who score the best are invited to apply, across multiple occupations.
- Apply for a visa. Applicants are given 60 days, from date of invitation, to submit the visa application.